Sunday, January 24, 2010

Week 2: Why I Am Not A Christian (post 1)

This was a very brave speech that Bertrand Russell gave because many people are afraid especially about religion to speak up about what they believe in and wht they don't believe in. He said that he isn't a Christian and gave two things that you would have to believe in to be called a Christian, "I think, however, that there are two different items which are quite essential to anybody calling himself a Christian. The first is one of a dogmatic nature -- namely, that you must believe in God and immortality. If you do not believe in those two things, I do not think that you can properly call yourself a Christian. " He doesn't believe in God and immortality, and discusses that anyone who believes in those two things can be called a Christian. I'm a Catholic and do see that if I believe in God and immortality than I can be called a Christian as well, and I do that the two are very simmilar except that Christians don't pray to Mother Mary. Some Christians may argue otherwise as to why I can't be called a Christian.

The First-cause Argument that he has about why he doesn't believe in God means that there are ways to prove as to why things exist. He states, " I read John Stuart Mill's Autobiography, and I there found this sentence: "My father taught me that the question 'Who made me?' cannot be answered, since it immediately suggests the further question `Who made god?'" That very simple sentence showed me, as I still think, the fallacy in the argument of the First Cause." He even goes on to talk about how if everything must have a cause than God must have a cause. This is interesting, although I' am Catholic, this statement has some truth behind it, yes I have as well always questioned why things are the way they are and why we are all here and how we all became who we are and how we evolved into Earth among all others like us.

No comments:

Post a Comment